Internal Combustion Engine Measurement, Analysis and Thermodynamics
- FLEXIBLE ANALOG INPUTS: 8 analog inputs with sensor supply for any sensor and signal type - Charge, IEPE, Voltage, Strain, Torque, Temperature, ...
- DIRECT RPM SENSOR CONNECTION: The DAQ system allows the direct connection of any standard RPM sensor. E.g. InCar (e.g. 60-2), Encoder, CDM+Trg.
- SYNCHRONIZED CAN ACQUISITION: 1 CAN 2.0b port is available for direct and synchronized high-speed CAN acquisition. The Dewesoft X software offers additional support for OBDII, J1939 and CAN DBC files for easy channel configuration.
- HIGH-SPEED: high-speed analog amplifiers with 16-bit ADC and 1 MS/second/channel sampling rate, ideal for combustion analysis on the high-speed engines.
- HIGH-DYNAMIC: SIRIUS high dynamic, 160 dB amplifiers with dual 24-bit ADC and 200 kS/second/channel sampling rate, ideal for combustion analysis on low RPM diesel engines.
- EXPANDABLE: The system can be easily expanded to hundreds of analog, counter and CAN channels at any time, without any additional software license costs.
- TEST-BED AND INCA INTEGRATION: The system can send combustion analysis results to the testbed via AK-protocol or to ETAS INCA and similar systems via CAN.
- SYNCHRONIZED ACQUISITION OF MULTIPLE SOURCES: Additional synchronized acquisition of other sources is possible within the same system CAN, OBDII, J1939, FlexRay, XCP/CCP, Video, etc.
- ADDITIONAL OPTIONS: The same system can be used to perform simultaneous online analysis of torsional and rotational vibration, order tracking, electrical power, combustion noise, sound power and more.
- LIFETIME FREE SOFTWARE UPGRADES AND SUPPORT: Our data acquisition systems come bundled with award-winning Dewesoft X data acquisition software. The software package is always evolving and new features are being added. We offer lifetime FREE software upgrades and technical support to all our users.
Internal Combustion Engine Analysis Overview
We provide a total solution for engine research, development, optimization and also for component development and testing, such as ignition systems, exhaust systems, and valve control gear.
High-end isolated SIRIUS data acquisition systems and the award-winning Dewesoft X data acquisition software offer easy measurement and analysis of internal combustion engines of any type (gasoline, diesel, etc.). The system supports angle and time-based measurement and uses highly sophisticated algorithms for online or offline mathematics and statistics to calculate heat release and other thermodynamic parameters.
The combustion analyzer system can either be used in-car (via the INCA interface) or it can be fully integrated into a test-bed environment. Additional synchronized acquisition from other data sources like video, GPS, CAN, FlexRay, XCP/CCP, Ethernet, can easily be combined.
In addition to combustion analysis, the same system can be also used for power analysis. Availability to measure high voltage and current signals our solution is perfect for the hybrid engine and powertrain testing. The combustion analyzer system can be used on all types of vehicles with internal combustion engines, such as passenger cars, trucks, ship, motorcycle, power-saw, etc.
In-car and Testbed Data Acquisition System
For testing under the real conditions, the combustion analyzer is perfectly suited for in-car testing applications. The combination of different supported interfaces like CAN, CAN FD, XCP/CCP, FlexRay, any direct connection of any sensor allows acquisition of all relevant data together with the combustion cycle. The combination with INCA via CAN interface offers a complete solution for the ECU calibration.
On the engine testbed, a combustion analyzer is a standard tool to calculate and visualize relevant physical parameters from the internal combustion engine and to monitor and protect the unit under the test. Different communication protocols to the control room are supported via Ethernet or RS-232 interfaces - e.g. Tornado, AVL Puma Open, D2T. It allows us to import and export the complete transfer channel list. Channels not needed, can simply be disabled with a click of a button instead of having to remove them from the list.
Multiple combustions analyzers can run in parallel and it is possible to select which one is the reference for the cycle count for the TestBed. Instead of storing and triggering based on cycles only, the time interval can be defined in seconds. This makes the testbed perfect for electric and hybrid motor testing or NVH applications.
Internal Combustion Engine Research and Development
The Dewesoft combustion analyzer is a complete combustion analysis platform to perform various tasks in the process of engine research and development. Extensive online or offline mathematical computation will allow you to:
- Misfire and engine knock detection
- Friction analysis
- Fuel injection and ignition analysis
- Valve control system timing
- Combustion noise and combustion vibration measurement and analysis
- Mechanical stress diagnosis
- Energy balance
- Gas exchange analysis
- Residual gas verification
- The exhaust gas after-treatment
- Engine mapping
Simple and Intuitive Configuration
The award-winning Dewesoft X data acquisition software offers an easy and very intuitive configuration process. Simply select the engine type with the number of cylinders and its geometrical parameters and you are ready to measure combustion.
The cylinder menu offers a selection of the analog channel for each cylinder and allows you to define the alignment of the cylinder angles. In the engine setup section, additional injection channels and channels for transforming any input channel to angle based measurement can be selected.
The last step is to select the angle sensor type and define the desired output resolution (down to 0.1°). The TDC (Top Dead Centre) can be detected automatically, without firing, using the maximum pressure level or optionally with a dedicated TDC sensor.
When the configuration is complete you can select your desired calculation outputs. Overall or running-average, derivation, temperature, heat release, work, power are just some of the available possibilities.
Heat Release Calculation
The online heat release calculates the energy for each cycle and its related parameters. Another calculation is the exact angular progression (5, 10, 50 or 90%) of the energy. The SOC (start of combustion) and EOC (end of combustion) are calculated.
All these values are based on the heat release algorithm. The software will calculate and visualize all these values as well as the relevant mean values like IMEPg, PMEP, and IMEPn.
All the parameters can be visualized online in a graphical or in a numerical views.
IC Engine Knocking Detection
Knocking in spark-ignition internal combustion engines occurs when combustion of some of the air and fuel mixture in the cylinder does not result from propagation of the flame front ignited by the spark plug, but one or more pockets of air/fuel mixture explode outside the envelope of the normal combustion front.
The fuel-air charge is meant to be ignited by the spark plug only, and at a precise point in the piston's stroke. Knock occurs when the peak of the combustion process no longer occurs at the optimum moment for the four-stroke cycle.
The robust knocking detection algorithm is based on comparing the signal before and after the TDC (TDC is the point in which the piston in the number one cylinder position of your engine is at its highest point on the compression stroke.
Combustion Noise Measurement and Analysis
Combustion noise is becoming increasingly important as a major noise source in internal combustion engines and thus becoming an important decision parameter of buying combustion engines. The design and development of modern internal combustion engines are marked by a reduction in exhaust gas emissions and an increase in specific power and torque. Correspondingly, combustion noise excitation, and fuel consumption also have to be reduced.
Our combustion analyzer has the capability to measure the noise level caused by an internal combustion engine during operation. The combustion noise must be calculated in the time domain. The measured value is scaled from the Bar unit to the Pascal unit. This is then followed by the U-filter, which simulates the transfer function of the engine (1. and 2. filter in the overview).
Learn more - Combustion Noise Dewesoft X Online Manual.
Additional Math Calculations and Statistics
The unlimited number of additional arbitrary mathematics channels can be defined based on the acquired data:
- math formulas,
- filters (FIR, IIR, ...)
- alarm conditions and
- many others.
Calculated values may be used for optimization or other automated procedures. The raw data from sensors will always be stored and stayed intact. This allows for any offline calculations to be done at any time.
Combustion Analysis Features
Our combustion analysis module has several features, which are thoroughly described and presented in the CEA webinar.
- Firing order: predefined from a drop-down menu or by custom input
- Cylinder deactivation: from a CAN or AI channel
- Zero level correction: separate correction mode for each cylinder (mixed sensor type)
- Polytropic coefficient: dual polytropic coefficient, for compression and for expansion
- Variable compression ratio: Switching between multiple volume curves based on a CAN or AI channel
- High angle resolution: from 2° to 0.025° angle resolution with raw data also available in the time domain
- Multiple combustion analyzers: an unlimited number can run in parallel
- New outputs
- Compression curve: theoretical compression curve plot
- Polytropic coefficient: Calculation of polytropic coefficient and automatic input of the calculated polytropic coefficient (dual fuel engines)
- Thermodynamics 2
- Automatic channel color and scaling information transfer from analog inputs
Raw Data Storage, Post Processing and Reporting Capabilities
Since all the raw data from the sensors is stored in the data file you can apply all the mathematics easily later in post-processing. This allows delaying CPU intense calculations until after the measurement has finished.
The stored data can easily be export to a variety of standard file formats compatible with today‘s most popular analysis software packages like FlexPro, MATLAB, Excel, AVL CONCERTOTM and many more. You can even export the whole measurement view to an AVI video file to create dynamic documentation or print a PDF report.
The data file can be viewed and analyzed on as many computers as needed without the need to purchase any additional software license form us. You can also distribute the data file outside of your company (e.g your customers) and anyone can view, reply and apply additional analysis. Simply let them download Dewesoft X software and open the shared data file.
Combustion Drivetrain Resources
Here are some additional resources about Dewesoft Drivetrain Combustion Analyzer: