Signal Processing and Analysis
Advanced Signal Processing and Analysis Capabilities
Dewesoft X data acquisition software package offers easy to use and extensive mathematics library for signal processing and analysis. All Mathematics can be applied online in real-time during the measurement itself or later in post-processing (offline).
RAW Data Storing
Dewesoft X will always store raw data from the connected sources. All math applied to these sources will result in additional "virtual" math channels. Original raw data will always stay intact.
This allows existing and new math to be changed and applied later in analyze/offline mode easily for post processing. No more worries if you forgot to apply or your math was wrong during measurement. Now you always have the capability to change it at any time.
DewesoftX Math Library
The math library inside Dewsoft X offers unlimited signal processing capabilities but makes common processing techniques just one click away. Math library functionalities are offered out of the box:
- Formula: custom formula editor
- FIltering: FIR, IIR, FFR, integration, derivation
- Statistics: RMS, Average, Min, Max, Std deviation, variance, classification, counting, array statistics, etc.
- Reference curve: time and frequency domain, vector and XY reference curves
- Time-domain analysis: Delay channel, Integral, derivative, Latch value math, Scope math, Time-to-vector transform
- Frequency domain analysis: Cepstrum, Correlation, Exact frequency, Fourier transform, Full spectrum, Octave analysis, Short-time Fourier transform
- Machinery diagnostics: Angle sensor math, Combustion noise, Envelope detection, Sine processing (COLA), Tracking filter
- Counting procedures: counting
- Acoustics: Acoustic weighting filters
- Control systems: PID control
- Strain, stress: Strain rosette
- Constants: Vectors, Matrix constant
Formula editor offers all major arithmetic, logic, algebra and measure functions to be combined with one or more measured input signals or existing math channel to create sophisticated calculations. Includes measure, events and channel properties sections which can be used in calculations.
Formula editor allows to combine following math and logical computations:
- Basic operators: plus, minus, multiply, divide, div, mod and power
- Functions: square, square root, absolute, truncate, random, logarithm (base2), logarithm (base10), natural logarithm, exponent, if condition, min, max
- Trigonometry: sin, cos, tan, asin, acos, atan, Pi
- Logic: less than, equal, more than, less than or equal, more than or equal, not equal, not, and, or, xor
- Signals: number of samples acquired, sample rate, time elapsed, sine wave, square wave, triangular wave, noise
- Measure: pulse width, stopwatch,
- Events: key press events
Learn more about Formula editor in Dewesoft X Online Manual.
Filters are grouped into three filter modules:
- IIR filter
- FIR filter
- Frequency domain filter
Classical electrical filters like Chebyshev, Butterworth, and Bessel can be applied using the IIR filter module. These filters also allow single and double differentiation and integration.
When signals are filtered using standard FIR filter it introduces a phase shift. The output signal is delayed compared with an input signal. Dewesoft FIR filter is smarter and filters data without any phase shift or delay. This is perfect and can be used also for the analysis of signals which does not allow having phase shifting or delay.
The frequency-domain filter performs an FFT calculation and cuts a certain range of signals to create the sharpest possible filtering.
The basic statistics module provides basic statistical quantities of the signal:
- RMS and Quadratic RMS
- Peak and Peak-peak
- Crest factor
- Minimum and maximum
- Time of minimum and maximum
- Standard deviation
There are five basic calculation modes. Block-based, Running, Single value, Triggered blocks, and Start-stop blocks. The statistical function is selected as an output channel.
Along with standard math modules described above, Dewesoft X offers advanced math modules for application-specific areas:
- Power analysis
- Power quality analysis
- NVH analysis
- Vehicle testing and analysis
- Vibration Analysis
- Structural Dynamics
- Sound and Acoustic Analysis
- PCM Telemetry, iNET, IRIG-108 CHAPTER-10
- Monitoring and Predictive Maintainance
Application modules can calculate hundreds of application-specific parameters according to various standards, backed up with application-specific data visualization with a simple, easy to use user interface. With these modules, the user is only one click away from the total solution.
Power Analysis and Power Quality Analysis
The power application module provides high-performance tools for the calculation of power, harmonics, and related parameters. Together with our high-performance DAQ hardware offers a total solution for power analysis, power quality, E-Mobility, and other power-related applications.
The unique system architecture allows our solution to handle a couple of tasks within the same device. It combines the functionality of a power analyzer, combustion analyzer, data logger, scope, vectorscope, transient recorder, and an FFT – Harmonics Analyser. It offers the acquisition of different signals (analog, digital, counter, CAN, video, ...) simultaneously storing them in a single data file.
Learn More about Dewesoft Power Analysis:
- Power analyzer solution page
- Power quality analyzer solution page
- Power analysis online PRO training course
- Voltage measurement online PRO training course
- Current measurement online PRO training course
- Power analysis online manual
- Power quality online manual
- Power analysis webinar
- Hybrid engine analysis webinar
Power application module provides all the power-related calculations and functionalities:
More than 300 calculated parameters
Power analysis for 1-12 phase AC systems Star-Delta Calculation of RMS values and Waveform
Voltage, Currents (RMS, rm, ave) and Frequency
Active, Reactive & Apparend Power (P, Q, S, PF, cos phi, etc.)
Distortion and Distortion Factors (D, DH, QH, K, THD I, THD U)
Period Values with overlap for detailed fault analysis
For more information visit the Power analysis PRO training online course.
Power Quality Analysis
The same power module also offers calculations and visualization for power quality analysis according to IEC standards. Functionalities include:
Class A Power quality Analyser according to IEC 61000-4-30
Harmonic Analysis up to 150 kHz according to IEC61000-4-7
Flicker and Rapid Voltage Changes according to IEC61000-4-15
Flicker emission according to IEC64000-21
Unbalance and Symmetrical components (zero, positive and negative sequence)
Power Quality Reports according to FGW-TR3
For more information visit the Power quality PRO training online course.
Raw Data Storing
Software and hardware offer raw data storing with up to 1 MS/s. Scope and vectorscope views are also available.
The same solution also provides very flexible and easy to use FFT analyzer. It is able to calculate and visualize harmonic FFT, full FFT, and 3D waterfall FFT.
Recorder offer streaming of unlimited data and math channels directly to computers hard-drive with more than > 500 MB continuous stream rate. Triggering on analog, math or power channels is possible - e.g. trigger on voltage unbalance, frequency deviation, voltage dips, etc.
FFT analyzer module provides all functions for spectral analysis with advanced averaging, selectable resolution (up to 64000 lines), or direct specification of the bandwidth (0.01 Hz). Multiple channels can be displayed in the same FFT visual display for easier comparison. FFT features:
- Multiple cursors and markers: provide easy access to marked frequency values. Free, RMS, Max, Sideband, Harmonic, Damping markers are available.
- Bearing cursor: used to identify the bearing frequencies
- Envelope: envelope detection is a procedure for early detecting of faults on ball bearings
- Auto and cross-correlation
- Short time FFT
For more information visit:
Order Tracking Analysis
The order tracking module makes it extremely easy to take time-domain data and transform it into the angular (order) domain. It can extract any number of harmonics (amplitude and phase angles) which can be displayed in Bode, Nyquist, 3D FFT, real-time x-y, and orbit plot. The plane view FFT clearly shows the excitation forces, natural frequencies, and all the resonances to give a clear picture of the dynamic behavior of the machine.
Any input can be used: microphone, accelerometer, and even the output of the torsional vibration module (see below). The patented digital counters technology (Supercounter®) provides very accurate and repeatable measurements. Results are represented on a 3D color spectrogram and 2D graph for selected order and phase extraction over RPM.
Learn more about Order Tracking analysis:
Order tracking module features:
- Simple and easy to setup
- Dedicated re-sampling method for sharp order separation
- Measurement in the time-domain to keep all benefits
- 2D, 3D waterfall in order or frequency domain
- Amplitude, phase extraction
- Recalculation in post-processing
- Phase synchronous rpm input with 12.5 ns resolution
For more information please visit the Order tracking PRO training online course.
Torsional and Rotational Vibration
The module offers an extremely straightforward and easy analysis of torsional vibration for rotating shafts, gearboxes, and similar rotating machinery.
High precision digital counter inputs on our DAQ systems with the patented technology called Supercounter®, based on a 102.4 MHz time base, allows for exact measurement and calculation of rotational and torsional vibration angles and velocities at high RPM speeds from two encoders mounted on each side of the shafts. The difference between the rotations of each side is the torsion twist of the measured shaft.
Constant angle offset, uncentered mounting, and sensor errors can be compensated. Gearbox ratios are supported and additional filters can be applied. Several torsional vibration modules can be combined to analyze torsional vibration on complicated transmissions.
Learn more about Rotational and Torsional vibration analysis:
- Torsional and Rotational Vibration Analysis solution page
- Torsional and Rotational Vibration online PRO training course
- Torsional and Rotational VibrationOnline Manual
- Rotating Machinery Analysis Webinar
The rotor balancing module provides an easy to use tool for single and dual-plane balancing to cancel out the vibrations caused by the first order.
The setup itself is very simple. Connect the angle and vibration sensors. The module will guide you step by step through balancing procedures. First record the initial run, then add a trial mass at the appropriate angle. Steps can be repeated if required. All results and the raw data are stored in the data file.
For more information please visit:
The rotor balancing module offers the following capabilities:
- A wizard-like user interface which guides you through all the steps
- Order tracking based balancing method
- Single or dual plane
- Multiple balancing for two directions saves time (X, Y)
- A 2D graph for the plane view
- RPM channel with a color indicator (rpm range)
- Alarm output if velocity exceeds a predefined value
- Displays tacho probe time signal to set trigger
- Vector polar plots of 1st order of all runs (initial, trail, ...)
- Weight splitting
- Acceleration, velocity, displacement in the recorder
- Time-domain measurement
Modal Analysis - SIMO, MIMO, and ODS
FRF and modal analysis module can measure transfer functions of mechanical structures with impact hammer or shaker excitation. The software allows us to draw or import the structure geometry for quick visualization of measurement points.
The chosen natural frequencies can be observed as an animation of the structures. Measured data can be exported to UNV files and easily imported for further analysis in other software packages.
The same module can also be used to define transfer functions of electrical circuits like amplifiers or filters.
To learn more about Modal Analysis visit:
The modal analysis module offer following capabilities:
- Frequency response function (FRF)
- Excitation and response spectra, windowing
- Double hit detection, reject hits, averaging of hits
- SISO, MISO, SIMO, Response group alignment
- Mode indicator function (MIF)
- Circle-fit method for extracting modal
- Geometry editor
- Function generator for up to 16 channels
- FRF from stored timed data
- Triggered, free-run measure mode
- Shock response spectrum (SRS)
- High channel count possible for large structures
- Shock, drop and bump test
- UNV file export for modal packages (ME-Scope, ...)
Sound Level Meter Measurement
The sound level meter module can calculate typical parameters for sound level measurements from a single microphone. The solution can be used as the typical sound level meter with A, B, C, or D weighting. With our high dynamic 160 dB dual 24-bit SIRIUS DAQ systems it can easily fulfill all the requirements for Class I sound level meter.
The module provides real-time sound level calculations according to the international standards IEC61672, IEC60651, IEC60804. Any combination of frequency and time weighting can be calculated. The statistical values are calculated over the whole range or with the custom specific entered block size.
For more information please visit
SLM Main Features
The sound level meter module offers the following capabilities:
- Real-time narrowband FFT
- 1/1, 1/3, 1/12, 1/24 band octave spectrum
A simple method to extract min/max/avg values over the whole spectrum or a specific frequency range
- A-, B-, C-, D-weighting (frequency weighting)
- Fast-, Slow-, Impulse-weighting (time weighting)
- Sound level meter
- Current maximum sound level (dB)
- Equivalent sound level (dB)
- Pulse weighted equivalent sound level (dB)
- Absolute maximal sound level (dB)
- Sound exposure [dB]
- Maximum and minimum Lp sound level
- Classes for 0, 1, 1, 5, 10, 50, 90, 95 and 90 dB
Sound Power Measurement
The sound power module supports measurements according to the ISO 3741, ISO 3744, and ISO 3745 standards. The microphone positions are calculated by the software, depending on the size of the sound source and configuration (hemisphere, parallelepiped, ...).
If there are fewer microphones available than requested by the standard, you can build groups and change the position during the measurement. The user is guided through the measurement step by step. There is also a repeatability check and the visualization by third-octave band analysis for the report.
For more information please visit:
Sound Intensity Measurement
Dewesoft Sound Intensity Measurement module is a perfect tool for sound intensity level measurement and noise source determination brought to an entirely new level. The solution brings a simple and intuitive measurement process while offering the utmost precision and industry unmatched adaptability. Highlights:
- SUPPORTED STANDARDS: Complies with Sound Intensity-based Sound Power calculation - Discrete points method (ISO 9614-1) and Scanning method (ISO 9614-2).
- UNMATCHED FLEXIBILITY: Measurement of additional process parameters like vibration, video, and others, everything perfectly synchronized
- TRIGGER CHANNELS: Automatize the process by using triggers to start and stop the measurement. Connect and assign the trigger channel from the robotic arm.
- ONLINE/OFFLINE CALCULATION: Sound intensity can be calculated online or in post-analysis using stored raw sound pressure signals from both microphones.
- SUPPORTED HARDWARE: plug and play support for different intensity probes from all the major manufacturers, integrating full remote control functionality for measurement control.
- IEC 61672 CALIBRATED: complete measurement chain of sound intensity solution can be calibrated according to IEC 61672.
- QUICK SOUND SOURCE IDENTIFICATION: effortlessly identify noise sources with an easy-to-use interface.
- PHASE CALIBRATION: straightforward, automated phase calibration and correction with a single button click.
Sound Quality Measurement and Analysis
Sound quality measurement is an indispensable tool for successful sound engineering. It addresses the need to empirically evaluate how sound produced by different kinds of machines are perceived by the human ear. The tool will help you determine how the sound is perceived, tune the sound of your machine and make it appealing to the user, and finally, maximize your market potential.
- LOUDNESS CALCULATION: calculation according to ISO 532-1 and ISO 532-2: Acoustics - Methods for calculating loudness - Zwicker method and Moore-Glasberg method
- NORMAL EQUAL-LOUDNESS-LEVEL CONTOURS: calculation according to and based on ISO 226 standard
- SHARPNESS CALCULATION: sharpness is calculated from specific loudness, which is determined according to ISO 532-1 and ISO 532-2 standards
- ARTICULATION INDEX, EXTENDED: Evaluation of speech perception while other sounds are present
- SPEECH INTELLIGIBILITY: a metric for evaluation of speech intelligibility
- NOISE RATING (NR): used in Europe for rating indoor noise sources
- NOISE CRITERION (NC): used in the USA for rating indoor noise sources
- MONAURAL AND BINAURAL ANALYSIS: select the desired measurement method before measuring or measure both at the same time
- TIME-VARYING AND STATIONARY SIGNALS SUPPORT: no limits when it comes to different use cases
Learn more at:
Human Body Vibrations
The human body vibration module provides a measurement of the effect of vibrations on the human body. Especially in the working places exposed to high vibrations, there is a big chance of permanent damage to some parts of the human body.
The human vibration module provides measurements to be able to decide the risk of such damage. The module is compliant with the following standards: ISO 2631-1, ISO 8041, and ISO 2631-5. For more information please visit:
Vehicle Testing and Analysis
Dewesoft X offers several application modules and countless features for complete vehicle testing and analysis including wide NVH testing features. Next to standard road load data recording, the following analysis modules are offered:
- ADAS: advanced driver assistance validation systems.
- Durability Testing and Road Load: performance and durability testing on the proving grounds, real roads or test rigs, and simulators.
- Brake Test: break test measurement, validation, and analysis according to international standards.
- Brake Noise Testing: determine the source of brake noise and squeal.
- Combustion Engine Analysis: measure and analyze parameters of internal combustion engines.
- E-Mobility: electric and hybrid car testing, including batteries, inverters, and electric motor.
- Pass-by Noise: measure noise emission on all sorts of vehicles according to international standards.
- Vehicle Dynamics: vehicle maneuver testing.
Data from two or more vehicles provides a very accurate position and distance information relative to each other and/or a fixed object. DS-IMU2 additionally provides accurate measurement of all vehicle dynamics, including the side-slip angle.
- Polygon visual component: real-time car-to-car and car-to-object distance and time to collision calculations.
- Many additional synchronized data sources like Video, CAN and CAN FD, FlexRay, XCP/CCP, OBDII, etc.
- Collision avoidance and autonomous braking testing.
- Lane departure warning and lane assist system testing.
- Adaptive cruise control testing.
- Blindspot detection testing.
The brake test module is very flexible and includes functionality for all kinds of brake and ABS tests. It also covers tests for braking comfort and vehicles with regenerative braking. High accuracy GPS or IMU hardware is available to achieve the highest possible accuracy.
- Real-time validation and visualization results
- Additional post-processing math
- Automated workflow with Dewesoft X sequencer
- Automated report generation
- Direct pedal force, travel sensor, pressure inputs via analog or CAN
- Multiple brake temperature logging
- Additional synchronized acquisition of other sources CAN, OBDII, J1939, FlexRay, XCP/CCP, Video, etc.
- Standard tests (ECE13H, FMVSS 135, etc.)
- ABS testing, R&D tests, Braking comfort testing, possibility to add additional standards or maneuvers
Brake Noise Testing
Dewesoft Brake Noise testing solution, also known as Brake Squeal, is ideal for detecting and tracking noise caused by mechanical vibration in various braking systems based on the VDA 303 guideline algorithm.
Brake Noise software detects squeal events from pairs of microphones and accelerometer measurements. Pairs are generated automatically from specified accelerometer and microphone channels.
Squeals are determined from amplitudes of sound and mechanical vibration. Fourier transformation settings are integrated. Only direct time-domain measurements are needed to detect squeal events.
To learn more please visit:
The Combustion Analysis module can be used for engine research, development, and optimization and also for component development and testing, such as ignition systems, exhaust systems, and valve control gear.
- Analog inputs for any sensor type with excitation. Charge, IEPE, Voltage, Strain, Torque, Temperature.
- Direct connection of any RPM sensor: InCar (e.g. 60-2), Encoder, CDM+Trg.
- Multiple synchronized data interfaces CAN, FlexRay, Counter, GPS, Video, XCP/CCP, and more.
- Interface to test-bed and INCA
- Simultaneous online analysis of torsional and rotational vibration, order tracking, electrical power, combustion noise, sound power, and other mathematics.
For more information please visit:
The power analysis module (see above) together with high voltage and the high precision current sensor provides all the functionalities for testing electric and hybrid vehicles. The big advantage is that the same system can handle the analysis of other vehicle testing applications and can offer a total solution for electric and hybrid vehicle testing.
- AC & DC power analysis that calculates hundreds of power parameters
- Ability to acquire and analyze synchronized data from other sources: IEPE, strain gage, temperature, video, CAN, XCP/CCP, FlexRay, etc. within the same instrument.
Energy & Efficiency
Static and dynamic testing
Testbed and on-road testing
Learn more at:
The pass-by noise testing module enables online checks and validation for the pass-by noise test. Software functionality is fully supported with the hardware capabilities to form a total, easy to use solution.
- Automated workflow with Dewesoft X sequencer
- Fully battery powered system
- Direct IEPE microphone, analog IR temperature inputs
- Additional synchronized weather station logging and CAN, OBDII interface for speed, gear position, and RPM measurement
- 100 Hz GPS based measurement with 2 cm RTK position accuracy
- Velocity accuracy of 0.1 km/h
- Calculation of CPB and sound level according to IEC61672 standard
- Build in the analysis of standards tests (ISO 362, UNECE R51.02, SAE J1470, ...)
Learn more at:
Durability Testing and Road Load Data
Dewesoft offers extensive DAQ and signal conditioning capabilities for road load testing on the proving grounds, real roads, and test rigs and simulators.
High channel count DAQ solutions offer unlimited channels, count data acquisitions systems that can be mounted in the vehicle and offer signal amplifiers for all types of strain gauges, accelerometers, voltage sensors, and offer synchronized acquisition of torques, vibration, GPS and IMU signals, Video, CAN and CAN FD bus data, XCP/CCP data, FlexRay and others.
With direct and real-time Ethercat integration signals can be sent with low latency data loops directly to durability test rigs like MTS road simulator and similars.
The vehicle dynamics module, so-called VTS, was developed together with Leane International and FCA group. The entire solution is based on top of Dewesoft X software and DAQ systems and offers support for standard maneuvers and quick pass/fail evaluation for the driver.
Automated workflow and driver guidance
Vehicle, maneuver and sensor database with automatic coordinate system assignment and filtering
Frequency sweep - ISO 7401, ISO TR-8726
Slowly increasing steer - ISO 7401
Step steer and steering release - ISO 7401, ISO 17288-1
Step steer input and limit - ISO 7401
Variable sinusoidal input
Sinus steer - ISO 13674-1
Sine with dwell - ECE 13H, FMVSS 126
Steady-state circular driving - ISO 4138
Open Math Interface
It is very easy to extend the data analysis with your custom mathematics. Dewesoft X software offers several ways how to extend math:
- C++ script: built-in C++ Script IDE allows you to extend Dewesoft in a simple way - like Visual Basic can extend Microsoft Office tools. Using intuitive abstractions in modern C++ you can develop your own custom Math modules, without ever having to leave Dewesoft.
- DCOM plugin: using DCOM plugin technology and your programming language of choice, you can build your custom DLL plugins which run inside Dewesoft X software.
Visit developers section for programming guide, example code, and other resources regarding extending Dewesoft X software.