A sound quality measurement is an indispensable tool for successful sound engineering. It addresses the need to empirically evaluate how sound produced by different kinds of machines are perceived by the human ear. The tool will help you determine how the sound is perceived, tune the sound of your machine and make it appealing to the user, and finally, maximize your market potential.
Sound Quality Measurement and Analysis
- LOUDNESS CALCULATION: calculation according to ISO 532-1 and ISO 532-2: Acoustics - Methods for calculating loudness - Zwicker method and Moore-Glasberg method
- NORMAL EQUAL-LOUDNESS-LEVEL CONTOURS: calculation according to and based on ISO 226 standard
- SHARPNESS CALCULATION: sharpness is calculated from specific loudness, which is determined according to ISO 532-1 and ISO 532-2 standards
- ARTICULATION INDEX, EXTENDED: Evaluation of speech perception while other sounds are present
- SPEECH INTELLIGIBILITY: a metric for evaluation of speech intelligibility
- NOISE RATING (NR): used in Europe for rating indoor noise sources
- NOISE CRITERION (NC): used in the USA for rating indoor noise sources
- MONAURAL AND BINAURAL ANALYSIS: select the desired measurement method before measuring or measure both at the same time
- TIME-VARYING AND STATIONARY SIGNALS SUPPORT: no limits when it comes to different use cases
- REAL-TIME AND POST ANALYSIS: calculation of metrics is supported in real-time as well as in post-analysis
- EXPAND: bundled with the award-winning Dewesoft X data acquisition and analysis software which leaves you open to unlimited measurement and analysis possibilities
- FUTURE-PROOF AND TRUSTED: lifetime free software upgrades and support - our solutions are constantly being improved.
- POWERFUL DAQ SYSTEM: bundled with the SIRIUS DAQ system featuring dual 24-bit DualCoreADC® with a 200 kHz sampling rate per channel. Amplifiers offer low noise and full isolation for the best signal quality. SIRIUS DAQ systems offer a high dynamic range of 160 dB.
- ADDITIONAL ANALOG INPUTS: more analog inputs are available than required for monaural or binaural sound quality analysis
- LIFETIME FREE SOFTWARE UPGRADES AND SUPPORT: Our data acquisition systems come bundled with award-winning Dewesoft X data acquisition software. The software package is always evolving and new features are being added. We offer lifetime FREE software upgrades and technical support to all our users.
Sound Quality Application Overview
The quality of the sound from a certain product has increasing importance when assessing the overall quality of the product. Our sound quality tool helps you assess the sound appeal of products and take audio engineering to the next level.
The Dewesoft sound quality system is a perfect example of applied psychoacoustics, where software and hardware are working seamlessly together. This brings unmatched user experience and measurement results. The system includes:
- Award-winning Dewesoft X data acquisition software,
- Dewesoft X Sound Quality plugin
- SIRIUS mini DAQ system and
- Class 1 quarter inch microphone.
The Dewesoft Sound Quality enables a real-time and post-time analysis of any sound source. It also adds the calculation of Loudness (according to ISO 532-1 and ISO 532-2) and Normal equal-loudness-level contours (accordance with ISO 226).
Sound Quality ISO Standards Support
- ISO 532-1:2017: Acoustics - Methods for calculating loudness. Two methods for estimating the loudness of sounds as perceived under specific listening conditions. The methods are based on the Zwicker algorithm.
- ISO 532-2:2017: Acoustics - Methods for calculating loudness. A method for estimating the loudness of stationary sounds as perceived under specific listening conditions. The method is based on the Moore-Glasberg algorithm.
- ISO 226:2003: Acoustics - Normal equal-loudness-level contours. Combinations of sound pressure levels and frequencies of pure continuous tones are perceived as equally loud.
The Dewesoft Sound Quality solution even includes a range of other sound quality metrics, such as:
- articulation index,
- speech intelligibility,
- noise criterion (NC) and
- noise ratings (NR).
Sound quality testing is an important design concept for anyone who wants to evaluate and improve the audio signal quality of:
- machinery, appliances or assemblies,
- vehicles and their individual parts, components, and subassemblies,
- or any other product or audio devices that are emitting sound,
and make it perceived as right or desirable to the user. The testing is applied in:
- Automotive Noise, Vibration, and Harshness (NVH), automotive designs, including components.
- Electronic devices, such as loudspeakers, microphones, amplifiers or headphones.
- Domestic appliances, e.g. lawnmowers, refrigerators, computers.
Sound Design and Audio Engineering
The sound of product noise is one of the key parameters of product quality. Not only the level but also the quality of the noise it makes is part of what attracts or repels the customers. And this is valid for products ranging from vehicles to hand tools. The Dewesoft Sound Quality solution is applied by R&D departments of industry players for:
- Benchmarking and improvement - Target setting
- Modelling and simulation - Prediction
- Reactive engineering - Testing and troubleshooting - Validation
Psychoacoustics - Analysis, and Characterization of Product Sound
The auditory perception of sound is a subjective matter, but objective measurement and testing are possible by applying a range of Sound Quality parameters or metrics.
With a single number, these parameters express the characteristic properties of sound and reflect the psychoacoustic properties of human perception. Parameters like:
- pitch and quality (Timbre),
- noise criterion,
- noise rating,
- articulation index, and
- articulation index extended speech intelligibility.
Expandable and Adaptable
All Dewesoft data acquisition systems are bundled with award-winning Dewesoft X software. Dewesoft X is an advanced and easy-to-use data acquisition and analysis software. With multiple input channels on SIRIUS DAQ systems, it enables simultaneous measurement and real-time analysis of several measurement parameters.
The sound quality solution provides unmatched industry adaptability. Measurements can be combined with video acquisition to get a visual picture of your subject measurement.
Several other data sources can also be acquired fully synchronized. This includes sources such as CAN, CAN FD, OBDII, and XCP which can help you easily measure engine RPM at the same time. The options are endless.
Free Upgrades and Free Support
Our solutions are being constantly improved as we are adding new software features. All future Dewesoft X versions are always FREE to upgrade. There are no service and software maintenance fees or other hidden costs.
Our software is very agile when it comes to updates and users always receive the latest updates.
And we also offer free technical support to everyone via our support website or by contacting our local sales and support office. We pay special attention to fast and effective support - all free of charge and for life.