Vehicle Pass-by Noise Testing
- AUTOMATED WORKFLOW: Dewesoft X sequencer offers to automate testing procedures for the test operator. The pass-by noise system includes a pre-defined test sequence that guides the driver through the testing procedure.
- REAL-TIME RESULTS: The system provides real-time online results and automated report generation.
- EASY SETUP: The solution provides easy software and hardware configuration of all devices and sensors.
- BATTERY POWERED: The entire data acquisition, processing, and sensor hardware are battery-powered using our high-performance Li-ion battery packs.
- DIRECT SENSOR INPUTS: Data acquisition offers direct IEPE microphones, IR temperature sensors inputs. TEDS is provided for sensor autodetection and zero configuration.
- ADDITIONAL DATA SOURCES: Additional synchronized acquisition of other data sources is possible within the same system - CAN, CAN FD, OBDII, J1939, FlexRay, XCP/CCP, video, weather station (air temperature, humidity, wind speed, ...), etc.
- 2 CM POSITION ACCURACY: The system is based on 100 Hz GPS measurement with RTK or inertial measurement platform upgrade which provides positioning accuracy down to 2 cm.
- 0.1 KM/H VELOCITY ACCURACY: Velocity accuracy is guaranteed down to 0.1 KM/H.
- SUPPORTED STANDARDS: Software provides the calculation of CPB and sound level according to the IEC 61672 standard. Other analysis supported standards are ISO 362, UNECE R51.02, SAE J1470.
- SEVERAL APPLICATIONS: Dewesoft Pass-by Noise system can additionally be used for brake test analysis (ECE 13H, FMVSS 135, etc), brake noise testing, ABS testing, Braking comfort, and the possibility to add additional test standards or maneuvers like tire test, acceleration test, handling test and/or fuel consumption tests.
- LIFETIME FREE SOFTWARE UPGRADES AND SUPPORT: Our data acquisition systems come bundled with award-winning Dewesoft X data acquisition software. The software package is always evolving and new features are being added. We offer lifetime FREE software upgrades and technical support to all our users.
Pass-by Noise Test
To help reduce noise in our environment, different government agencies set pass-by noise limits for each type of ground vehicle – critical regulations that must be respected by all vehicle manufacturers.
The pass-by noise is a certification test for vehicle noise emissions for passenger vehicles, motorcycles, and light trucks. It is achieved by measuring external sound levels according to procedures defined by international standards such as ISO 362.
Road traffic noise is the most prevalent environmental noise source globally with serious effects on the environment and on human health. Throughout the last century, international standards and emission limits have been developed and adopted. In Europe, most of these initiatives focused on reducing traffic noise at the source by applying measures on new cars
Pass-by Noise Test Procedure
The test procedure involves an open-throttle acceleration test and a constant speed test (only for vehicles with a power-to-mass ratio higher than 25). Because the tests must be repeated several times to prove a consistent average value, with at least four measurements on each side of the vehicle and for each gear, it is crucial that the pass-by noise system is easy to set up and operate.
Pass-by Noise Emission Standards
Our pass-by noise test system provides complete measurements and reports directed by international vehicle noise emission standards.
ISO 362 defines the pass-by test procedures for noise emission measurement by accelerating road vehicles. The ECE R41 (motorcycle) and R51 (automobile) standards regulate the limits of the vehicle exterior noise while ECE R138 does the same for electric vehicles.
Dewesoft Pass-by Noise Test Overview
The Dewesoft Pass-by noise test system is a very flexible R&D and validation measurement package. The system package include all the needed data acquisition hardware components and award-winning Dewesoft X software for real-time calculations, visualization, and validation of results.
Dewesoft X sequencer can be used to define a completely custom, automated test-sequence that will guide the vehicle test driver step-by-step through the test procedure. The software will also provide a real-time visual displays and results.
PPS synchronization technology keeps both in-vehicle and outside stationary data acquisition systems in perfect synchronization. The measured and calculated data are available on both systems at any-time, real-time. The data from the outside DAQ system (microphones, weather station, asphalt temperature, etc.) can be monitored and transferred to the in-vehicle DAQ system directly.
The Dewesoft Pass-by noise system offers a very simple and hassle-free setup and operation. Several types of hardware and sensor configurations are available to cover the need for any vehicle Pass-by Noise test.
The Pass-by Noise Data Acquisition System
The Pass-by noise solution consists of two separate data acquisition systems - master and slave DAQ system.
1. Master DAQ System
Master DAQ system is placed in the vehicle under the test and offers all the processing power for storing, analyzing and visualizing results and step-by-step instructions for the driver. All the results are available and visible in real-time.
The master DAQ system acquires and stores all the vehicle positioning and velocity data, and can additionally also acquire data from CAN, CAN FD bus, FlexRay, XCP/CCP, video, and many others. This measurement system also saves the synchronizes data from the outside, slave data acquisition system.
2. Slave DAQ system
The second data acquisition system - slave DAQ system - is placed outside and is stationary. This DAQ system acquires data from precise IEPE microphone(s), IR temperature sensors, asphalt temperature, and optional wind speed, air temperature, humidity and other environmental parameters.
Both systems are based on R2DB data acquisition system.
Real-time Pass-by Noise Results
The most important pass-by noise parameters are calculated online so that the driver can immediately see if the test has passed or failed. 3D visualization of vehicle positioning and distance calculations are also available in real-time. This greatly reduces the time of testing and analyzing.
Any of the advanced calculations can also be performed online or later after the test data has been acquired. These include CPB (Constant Percentage Bandwidth Analysis), Sound Levels, FFT analysis, and many others. These results are vital for the analysis engineer to compare different test-runs and to immediately see the highest frequency.
Additional post-processing calculations are possible as we always store the raw data as well. Post-processing features in Deweosft are completely free. The data file can be shared, viewed and analyzed on as many computers as needed without any additional software license.